home » Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
- 1. What is a patent?
- 2 Can I change the applicant in a pending application?
- 3. What should I do before applying for a Patent?
- 4. What should I be aware of before filing a patent application?
- 5. Can I obtain a patent for my invention for which I have already applied for a patent in my home country?
- 6. Can I claim a priority right based on the first application filed in a country other than Japan when I file a patent application in Japan?
- 7. May I file a patent application with the JPO that has been completed in English instead of Japanese?
- 8. In order to obtain a patent, is it necessary for me to file a request for examination with the JPO after I have submitted my patent application?
- 9. May I request a refund of the examination request fee if I withdraw or renounce my patent application?
- 10. I would like to prevent a patent application from being granted.
- 11. May I have editable forms for an application and other procedures?
- 12. How can I bring my PCT international application into the national Phase in Japan, and how much are the relevant fees?
- 13. What can I do when I receive a decision of refusal from the JPO with respect to my patent application?
- 14. In order to assign my patent right in Japan to another party, what am I required I do?
- 15. Does the JPO provide English translations of Japanese patents or utility models?
- 16. What is a utility model?
- 17. What should I do before filing an application to register a utility model?
- 18. What is a "Report of Utility Model Technical Opinion" for a Utility Model?
- 19. What should I be aware of before claiming my Utility Model right?
- 20. May I obtain both a patent right and a utility model right for the same invention?
- 21. May I convert a patent application into a utility model application?
- 22. May I convert a utility model application into a patent application?
- 23. What is an industrial design?
- 24. What should I do before filing an application to register a design?
- 25. What is a trademark?
- 26. What should I do before applying a Trademark?
- 27. What should I be aware of when I apply for trademark registration under the Madrid Protocol (Protocol Relating to the Madrid Agreement Concerning the International Registration of Marks) designating Japan?
- 28. How can I respond to a "Notification of Provisional Refusal" with regard to my international trademark application under the Madrid Protocol?
- 29. What is the responsibility of the JPO? Is the JPO also responsible for the protection of copy rights?
- 30. Duration of right and time limit for payment of patent/registration fee.
- 31. May I pay annual fees to maintain my patent, utility model or industrial design right, or may I renew my trademark registration after the time limit?
- 32. What should I do to obtain a patent or register a utility model, an industrial design or a trademark/service mark?
- 33. Who may be an applicant?
- 34. I would like to know whether my invention can be patented or if my design or trademark can be registered in Japan before filing an application.
- 35. Should I appoint a patent attorney as my representative when I apply for a patent etc.?
- 36. Should I submit a power of attorney?
- 37. How can I get a list of patent attorneys in Japan?
- 38. How can I submit an application or other documents?
- 39.I would like to know how much the fees are
- 40. Can I make a payment of official fees such as application fees, patent/registration fees etc. directly to the JPO from overseas?
- 41. Is there any database searchable for patent, utility model, industrial design or trademark?
- 42. How can I obtain a copy of the Patent Act and other Acts?