The Patent Prosecution Highway (PPH) is an international examination cooperation scheme beneficial to both applicants and IP Offices.
What is PPH?
The Patent Prosecution Highway (PPH) is implemented based on a bilateral agreement between two Offices and allows one Office to accelerate examination, at the applicant's request, if a corresponding application has been found allowable/patentable by the couterpart Office. The PPH is expected to increase a grant rate and reduce filing costs.
Since the first PPH pilot between the JPO and the USPTO, the PPH network has expanded to more than 50 IP Offices and is still expanding.
Statistical data, such as the number of PPH requests and a grant rate of PPH applications, is available.
- August 1, 2020
- EAPO (Eurasia) and PRH (Finland) start a PPH program.
- July 6, 2020
- Launch of the new PPH Portal
- INAPI (Chile) participates in the Global PPH.
- May 1, 2020
- INPI (Brazil) and IPOS (Singapore) start a PPH program.
- April 1, 2020
- INPI (Brazil) and KIPO (Korea) start a PPH program.
- CNIPA (China) and NIPO (Norway) start a PPH program.
- February 1, 2020
- APO (Austria) and INPI (Brazil) start a PPH program.
- INPI (Brazil) and PRV (Sweden) start a PPH program.
- January 1, 2020
- JPO (Japan) and SAIP (Saudi Arabia) start a PPH program.
- SAIP (Saudi Arabia) and USPTO (USA) start a PPH program.
- EPO (Europe) and INDECOPI (Peru) start a PPH program.